A Perth Glory soccer game planned for next Wednesday has been postponed, while the state government has announced it would open three clinics at metropolitan hospitals tomorrow to test for coronavirus, as the epidemic escalates with WA’s sixth case confirmed today.
A Perth Glory soccer game planned for next Wednesday has been postponed, while the state government has announced it would open three clinics at metropolitan hospitals tomorrow to test for coronavirus, as the epidemic escalates with Western Australia’s sixth case confirmed today.
They will be staffed by doctors, nurses and administration staff.
The government advised those who should attend the clinics are people with fever and respiratory symptoms, such as a cough or sore throat.
Those who have returned from overseas travel in the last 14 days, are a contact of a confirmed COVID-19 case or believe they have been in contact with someone infected by the disease are also urged to visit the clinics.
Health Minister Roger Cook said the government was taking precautionary action to help protect Western Australians.
“These COVID clinics will provide important testing hubs for people who meet the criteria to be tested,” he said.
“For most people, the symptoms of the disease will be mild and will be able to be managed in self-isolation at home but we need to make sure we have measures in place to rapidly diagnose, advise and care for people who are higher risk of more severe illness.”
He said the measure would limit the impacts of the coronavirus in the state.
The state government also announced today the ban on school-related international excursions for WA schools has been extended to include travel to Canada and the US.
The ban applies to all public, private and Catholic schools and includes both staff and students.
New Zealand is the only country where international travel by WA school groups will be considered.
The announcement comes as the Perth Glory said a match between Ulsan Hyundai FC, scheduled for March 18, had been postponed.
“The AFC, Member Federations & Clubs will determine new fixture dates over the coming weeks,” chief commercial officer Nic Barbato said.
The announcements come as WA's sixth coronavirus case was confirmed, hours after health authorities declared the state's first person-to-person transmission.
Mr Cook said a woman aged in her 60s had contracted the virus from her husband, who had returned from Iran in the past fortnight.
It follows a travel ban on Iran, announced last month.
UK comedian Russel Brand has also cancelled a performance, which was to be held at Perth Concert Hall tonight.
A woman in her 70s - and WA's third case, confirmed on Sunday - had attended the same venue on Saturday.
She flew into Perth from Cuba via London on Thursday.