On 17 April 1903, a motion was passed ‘that an Association be formed to be called the Lawn Tennis Association of Western Australia (LTAWA)’. The new LTAWA then confirmed its decision, on 14 October 1904, to join the Australasian Lawn Tennis Association (ALTA).
It was in 1912 that the name Western Australian Lawn Tennis Association (WALTA) was adopted. In the 1990s, in keeping with a move by the National body to use the trading name Tennis Australia, the acronym WALTA was cast aside for Tennis West.
During the 1980s, the prospect of the Association having its own offices and tennis complex always appeared to be just around the corner. On 20 September 1994, the new State Tennis Centre was officially launched on the Burswood Peninsula.
From uncertain beginnings, with the strains of the war and the division between amateurs and professionals, the Association has grown from a few small clubs conducting winter pennant tennis to administering one of the state’s major sports.
State Tennis Centre, Victoria Park Drive, Burswood WA 6100