The WA TAB opened its first agency in Barrack Street, Perth in March 1961, introducing a new era of support for the State’s racing industry. Following the recommendation for an off-course totalisator scheme by the Gaming Royal Commission, the WA TAB was established to replace the 206 licensed off-course betting shops legal in Western Australia since 1958. Similar authorities were formed in other Australian states. With the introduction of greyhound racing into Western Australia in1974, legislative changes cleared the way for the WA TAB to be part of the new racing sector.
Biography last updated 29 Jul 2019