Built and extended in the latter half of the 19th century, the former Hall of Commerce building used as a hotel for the first time by William Meadly in 1895. He leased the premises from George Hubble and applied for the first hotel license, renovating it again and calling it The Esplanade Hotel when it reopened in 1896.
In 1903 the building underwent significant alterations again, with the inclusion of an ornate dome shaped corner turret, new windows, verandah balustrades and a decorative parapet. In 1985 the building was enlarged by the owners, Winterbottom Holdings Ltd, in preparation for the anticipated influx of visitors for the 1987 America's Cup. The company invested $14 million to renovate and extend the hotel. The extensions were bigger than the original hotel building increasing the capacity to 140 bedrooms, providing function and convention facilities, a 130-seat restaurant and swimming pool. In 1991 the hotel was sold to Camellia Holdings Pty Ltd, owned by Marylyn New, for $12.27 million. Camelia undertook further expansions and renovations to the hotel in 1996, spending $20 million on the improvements.
In 2002, Camellia Holdings Pty Ltd undertook a further $14 million expansion of the hotel's convention and accommodation facilities. Completed in October 2003, the hotel's capacity was increased to 300 bedrooms and a new convention centre. Further refurbishments occurred in 2005, 2006 and 2009.
In January 2013, the hotel was acquired by Primewest Management for $88.5 million, and Rydges Hotels & Resorts were appointed to manage the property. It is now known as the Esplanade Hotel Fremantle by Rydges.
Rydges hotel brand is owned by ASX-listed Event Hospitality & Entertainment.
Corner of Marine Terrace & Essex Street, FREMANTLE WA 6160