18/01/2022 - 15:50

Two mass events canned due to pandemic risks

18/01/2022 - 15:50

Bookmark

Save articles for future reference.

City to Surf and Crab Fest have been cancelled for the third year in a row due to the threat of COVID-19.

Two mass events canned due to pandemic risks
City to Surf attracted more than 40,000 people in 2019. Photo: Facebook

City to Surf and Crab Fest have been cancelled for the third year in a row due to the threat of COVID-19.

The large fun run, which has attracted about 40,000 participants in the past, is usually held on the last Sunday in August. 

Activ chief executive Michael Heath said the decision to not hold the event again this year was very difficult, but the health and safety of participants came first.

“Our aim is to bring back this much-loved community fun run in 2023,” Mr Heath said.

“The Chevron City to Surf for Activ is not for profit’s largest annual fundraising event, with donations raised directed to supporting Western Australians with intellectual disability to achieve their independence goals.”

Meanwhile, the City of Mandurah Council decided not to proceed with the 2022 Mandurah Crab Fest.

Crab Fest is one of the largest free community events in regional Western Australia and was scheduled to run from Friday 18 to Sunday 20 March 2022.

In a statement, the city said it commenced initial event planning in August 2021 and while there had been minimal expenditure associated with the event to date, the City would be required to enter various contracts and pay the relevant deposits within coming weeks.

City of Mandurah Mayor Rhys Williams said the decision to not hold the much-loved event had not been made lightly.

“We’re at a crucial stop-go point right now where we need to weigh up the risks of proceeding or not proceeding with the event, based on what we know at this point in time and are able to assume from experience elsewhere,” Mr Williams said.

“We’re taking a common-sense approach based on the current significant uncertainty around holding major events.

“We can also learn a lot from what’s happening in the Eastern States and people’s cautious behaviour around attending big events.

“With everything we know right now, it would simply not be a responsible decision to proceed.

“At this stage the event could proceed, however there is too much uncertainty and risk, including Government flagging the very real potential for increased restrictions when Crab Fest is planned.”

He said the funds earmarked for Crab Fest 2022 would be used to deliver events and an activation program in the second half of the year.

Mr Williams said the event generated about $8.3 million for the local economy.

The announcements came a day after Perth Festival decided to cancel its community opening weekend event, Escape, which was due to take place on February 11 and 12. 

STANDING BY BUSINESS. TRUSTED BY BUSINESS.

Subscription Options