14/02/2017 - 00:05

Roe 8 documents handed over

14/02/2017 - 00:05

Bookmark

Upgrade your subscription to use this feature.

Previously secret documents regarding the planning of the Perth Freight Link were yesterday released by Main Roads after a recent order by the Information Commissioner, according to Labor North Metropolitan region candidate Alannah MacTiernan.

Roe 8 documents handed over
The road has been the subject of much debate. Photo: Attila Csaszar

Previously secret documents regarding the planning of the Perth Freight Link were yesterday released by Main Roads Western Australia after a recent order by the Information Commissioner, according to Labor North Metropolitan region candidate Alannah MacTiernan.

While Main Roads had reportedly been given until Wednesday to appeal the ruling to the Supreme Court, it opted to avoid another legal battle.

Ms MacTiernan, who served as planning and infrastructure minister in the previous state Labor administration, said the documents had been the subject of a freedom of information application made 18 months ago.

“Almost three weeks ago the commissioner found it was in the public interest for all these documents to be released and today, during the caretaker period - the decision was made not to appeal and the documents were handed over late this afternoon,” Ms MacTiernan told Business News.

“Obviously, they will be reviewed with some interest.”

There is a further set of documents that she wants released by the federal government.

“Unfortunately, the Turnbull government is still piling in the taxpayers funds to pay Sydney barristers to resist releasing Commonwealth documents,” Ms MacTiernan said.

“Although the matter has already been twice to the (Australian Administrative Tribunal), it is due to have its third hearing in the AAT in Perth on Thursday.”

A commitment to the road was made in the 2014 federal budget, after the Liberal Party had campaigned on it in the 2013 state election.

Work on the Roe 8 stage of the project started late last year, however, after the state government locked in a contract with a consortium including Leighton Holdings.

In early January, Labor pledged to tear up the $540 million first stage contract and re-allocate the cash towards other projects.

Business News covered the competing policies in the February 13 edition transport feature.

STANDING BY BUSINESS. TRUSTED BY BUSINESS.

Subscription Options