Search

Port worth $728m to WA

IT IS official. Without the Port of Fremantle, WA would be $728 million worse off.

An economic impact study of the port found it was one of WA’s most significant individual sources of jobs and revenue.

In 1998-99 the direct and flow-on effects of the port’s activity accounted for a total of 5,792 jobs, or 0.8 per cent of WA’s total employment.

The study of Fremantle Port’s economic impact was carried out by the Bureau of Transport Economics as part of a wider project initiated by the Association of Australian Ports and Marine Authorities.

The survey also found the direct and flow-on effects of the port’s operations accounted for $440 million annually – about 0.9 per cent of Gross State Product – and household income of $223 million annually.

Each ship calling at Fremantle Port results in 3.3 jobs when taking into account the direct and flow-on effects.

Expenditure by crews from visiting US naval vessels in 1998-99 resulted in an estimated additional economic output of $22 million and the equivalent of 193 full-time jobs.

Fremantle Inner Harbour accounted for about 67 per cent of the total economic impact and the Outer Harbour at Kwinana-Cockburn Sound contributed around 33 per cent.

Ship loading and unloading and ship operations account for 53 per cent of the total economic impact. The remaining 47 per cent is from land transport and storage, cargo services, Port Authority operations and government agencies.

Add your comment

BNIQ sponsored byECU School of Business and Law

Students

6th-Australian Institute of Management WA20,000
7th-Murdoch University16,584
8th-South Regional TAFE10,549
9th-Central Regional TAFE10,000
10th-Saferight8,000
49 tertiary education & training providers ranked by total number of students in WA

Number of Employees

BNiQ Disclaimer