23/01/2018 - 13:31

No crowd cap for Optus Stadium

23/01/2018 - 13:31

Bookmark

Upgrade your subscription to use this feature.

The state government has confirmed that a crowd cap will not be required for the Perth Scorchers Big Bash League semi-final at Optus Stadium, with a number of incentives in place to entice 15,000 fans to arrive early.

No crowd cap for Optus Stadium
A capacity crowd is expected for the semi-final. Photo: Attila Csaszar

The state government has confirmed that a crowd cap will not be required for the Perth Scorchers Big Bash League semi-final at Optus Stadium, with a number of incentives in place to entice 15,000 fans to arrive early.

Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said an agreement had been reached with VenuesLive and the Western Australian Cricket Association, ensuring there would be a capacity crowd for the match, which is set to be played on Thursday February 1.

"We have worked with the WACA to develop a coordinated strategy, which will see the WACA encourage early attendance while we will adjust services across the public transport network to create capacity,” she said

"This will impact normal commuter services but we have tried to keep these impacts at a manageable level.”

One strategy involves offering $10 food and beverage vouchers for the first 15,000 fans through the gates, while there will also be on-field access and prize packs.

The Women’s BBL semi-final, which is still waiting to confirm the teams playing, will start at 12.10pm with the men’s game to start at 4.40pm.

A lights show will also take place after the game to encourage fans to stay longer, reducing pressure on the transport system.

Last week, the state government flagged the possibility of a cap of 45,000 people due to delays in the construction of the Matagarup Bridge and constraints on the public transport system.

According to stadium planning, the bridge is expected to cater for around 14,300 people arriving at the facility.

The 4.40pm start to the match is timed to suit east coast TV markets.

The government said that, due to the timing of the match, some trains would runs three-car sets, instead of six, and there would be changes to timetables.

A central business district shuttle bus will operate between Elizabeth Quay Bus Station and the stadium from about 11am.

Transperth will also use 60 buses held back from retirement recently to cater for extra passengers.

WACA chief executive Christina Matthews said it was pleasing to have found a solution.

“We’re thrilled we’ve been able to work with the government and VenuesLive to achieve an outcome that’s good for everybody,” she said.

“We now look forward to meeting the task of selling out the semi-final and ensuring the Scorchers – hopefully the club’s men and women, if the WBBL side qualifies for the post-season – play in front of a capacity crowd.”

 

STANDING BY BUSINESS. TRUSTED BY BUSINESS.

Subscription Options