A proposal for a two-storey house on the former Taj on Swan site has been refused by the council, but the applicants were offered another chance if the design plans are revised.
A proposal for a new home on the former Taj on Swan site has been refused by the council, but the applicants were offered another chance if the design plans are revised.
The history of the Peppermint Grove site has been subject to media coverage over the years as former owners of fertiliser business Burrup Holdings, now operating as Yara Pilbara Holdings, Pankaj and Radhika Oswal planned to build a $70 million six-bedroom home including 17-bay carpark and observatory with revolving roof dubbed ‘Taj on Swan’.
Construction was halted in 2010 when the Oswals left the country amid legal and financial disputes with ANZ and the Australian Taxation Office, which have since been settled.
The Shire of Peppermint Grove won the right to demolish the derelict building in 2016 and the former Taj on Swan site was put on the market as one whole block or as six individual lots in 2018.
Businessman John Gillett bought the whole lot for $17 million in 2018 but received approval from the WA Planning Commission to subdivide the block in 2019.
Lot owner Simone Anagnostakis proposed to build a two-storey home with a basement and swimming pool on an 890sqm lot at the corner of Keane Street and Bay View Terrace.
The lot was sold for $4.1 million around September last year, according to REIWA.
Shire councillors refused the Anagnostakis' application at their meeting on Tuesday night as the proposed setback in the plan differ from the local planning policy and had raised concerns.
"The rear setback is reduced from the R Code six-metre minimum and when considered with the concerns raised by neighbouring properties for privacy and overshadowing would pose an unacceptable and adverse impact," the council resolution said.
Other concerns include the front fence potentially having an adverse impact on the streetscape.
However, councillors also voted for the Shire's chief executive Don Burnett to approve the proposal in the future once the plans have been revised to meet the council policy.
The revisions would include increasing the rear boundary setback to at least 5.4 metres, have a visual screening of outlook from the first floor towards the south and east windows and balcony, have three shade strees planted and open view fencing to the street on the western side of the front fence.
The shire's development services manager Ross Montgomery said the architect had submitted reworked drawings but gave notice less than two hours before the council meeting.
"Staff only just had opportunity to review them. Quite a numer of changes have been incorporated," he said.
"(We'll do) a more careful examination of the drawings."
The Anagnostakis had engaged Applecross-based designer leonhouse for their potential new home, which has been described as an Iwan Iwanoff-inspired contemporary design in the council report.
“The main feature of the design is a curved swimming pool within the front setback area to make the most of morning sun and a simple rectangular built form with geometric window opening and joinery detail,” the report said.
The value of the proposed development is yet to be disclosed.
Shire president Rachel Thomas said last week that the Anagnostakis' application was the third proposal seen by the council after the block had been divided into lots.
According to realestate.com.au, the Oswals bought the 6,582sqm ‘superlot’ site for $22.7 million in 2007.