20/11/2001 - 21:00

A history of Perth’s Swan Brewery

20/11/2001 - 21:00

Bookmark

Save articles for future reference.

* 1847: Mr de Burgh builds a flourmill, known as the White House at the foot of Mt Eliza.* 1857: Architect and engineer Frederic Sherwood opens the original Swan Brewery in Sherwood Court.

A history of Perth’s Swan Brewery

* 1847: Mr de Burgh builds a flourmill, known as the White House at the foot of Mt Eliza.

* 1857: Architect and engineer Frederic Sherwood opens the original Swan Brewery in Sherwood Court.

* 1874: Sherwood dies and the brewery is taken over by Captain John Ferguson and William Mumme.

* 1879: Ferguson and Mumme purchase the flourmill from de Burgh and built a new Swan Brewery and malthouse, using the Sherwood’s building as a bottling works.

* 1887: The Swan Brewery Company is floated on the stock market.

* 1928: Swan acquires Emu Brewery.

* 1979: Swan moves to its new modern premises in Canning Vale

* 1981: Swan becomes a wholly owned subsidiary of Bond Corporation.

* 1985: After buying the property from Swan for $4 million Yosse Goldbery sells it to the State Government for $5 million.

* 1989: Aboriginal protests begin.

* 1992: Lion Nathan absorbs Swan and the State Government sells the site, on a 65-year lease, to Multiplex subsidiary Bluegate Nominees.

* 2001: Swan returns to its home and the Old Swan Brewery is finally opened.

STANDING BY BUSINESS. TRUSTED BY BUSINESS.

Subscription Options