I AM sick of reading claims hyping me to ‘have my best year ever’ FYI: The trend of ‘best year ever’ was originated more than a decade ago by the late, great, Jim Rohn. His seminars were earth shattering and life changing - and it has inspired many, albeit lesser, duplicators. Rohn’s seminars should have been titled: ‘Have your best life ever’. What about your needs and desires this year?
Let me ask you a few questions about what you’re intending and hoping to do.
• How are you expecting this year to be for you?
• What are your immediate (within 30 days) goals?
• What are your present hopes and dreams? (They have a way of changing over the years.)
• What are your genuine intentions to make your goals, hopes, and dreams a reality?
• What’s your game plan to ensure success?
Success concept: What three or four words, and associated actions, could you come up with as a guiding light to help you stay focused and on track to get you there? I believe that picking a few meaningful words that apply to your vision will help you take directed actions. Words you can post in plain sight that will keep you in the groove of daily achievement. Key words that you burn into your psyche so that your goals become your driving force. Not just words on a paper, rather beacons of understanding, determination, and intentions - ever-mindful, laser-focused, bright light.
Here are my 3.5 words for 2013 - I hope they inspire you to think about and select yours.
Write every day. Tweet every day. Post every day. I have been writing almost every day for the past 21 years. Why should I let up now?
This year I will publish at least two e-books and one major hardbound book (also available on kindle and iBook). I will write 52 new weekly columns, and post a variety of new ideas and thoughts both in text and in video. Writing has provided me with purpose and process, discipline and drive, achievement and attraction, success and fulfillment, and lessons and legacy. Writing will help establish you in brand and in reputation.
Finish what I start. I have more projects and opportunities than I can say grace over. I intend to see each one through to fruition (not just completion). In my experience, there are very few things more frustrating than the mental nag of a project undone. I’m speaking for myself, and challenging myself, at the same time I’m speaking to you and challenging you. Finish what you start. It sounds so simple, yet time seems to fly away during the course of a day, a week, a month, or a year. The process I try to employ is that of time allocation. Rather than manage my time (something I have always found both impossible and improbable), I will allocate 30-minute time segments to projects and tasks in order to ensure I have allotted time for completion.
This is by far my most difficult word. It has several connotations.
1. Get in shape: There’s a fundamental link between physical wellbeing and mental freedom to create. My intention this year is to put them in balance and harmony.
2. Shape up: There are several aspects of business and life that need shaping and re-shaping. They range from organisation to money to personal skills to relationships to sales.
3. Shape the future. My age now demands I make plans that include me and exclude me. Succession is not just a word or a plan, it’s also a reality. These are three huge elements in leadership, life, and quality of living. I’m taking personal responsibility for both actions and outcomes.
YES is the ultimate attitude word, thought, reaction, response, expression of joy, expression of achievement, and recovery. It’s dedication to positive thought, expression, transference of message, and resilience. YES must envelop all thoughts at all times in order to focus on the positive side of “what if.
Note: I have posted my words for the year on my bathroom mirror.
This way I face them twice a day. Post yours.
Jeffrey Gitomer is the author of The Sales Bible, Customer Satisfaction is Worthless Customer Loyalty is Priceless, The Little Red Book of Selling, The Little Red Book of Sales Answers, The Little Black Book of Connections, The Little Gold Book of YES! Attitude,
The Little Green Book of Getting Your Way, The Little Platinum Book of Cha-Ching, The Little Teal Book of Trust, The Little Book of Leadership, and Social BOOM! His website, www.gitomer.com, will lead you to more information about training, seminars, and webinars - or email him personally at firstname.lastname@example.org © 2013 All Rights Reserved. Don't reproduce this document without written permission from Jeffrey H. Gitomer and Buy Gitomer. 704/333-1112 www.gitomer.com.