The Department of Communities was created on 1 July 2017 with the amalgamation of the:
- Department for Child Protection and Family Support
- Department of Housing (including Housing Authority)
- Disability Services Commission
- communities component of the Department of Local Government and Communities
- Regional Services Reform Unit
- regional coordination and engagement component of the former Department of Aboriginal Affairs
These structural changes are part of the WA Government’s statewide public sector reforms.