The municipality of Belmont was established in 1898 as the Belmont Road Board. In 1907, the name was changed to Belmont Park Road Board and remained as such until 1961 when it became the Shire of Belmont. In 1979 the municipality became the City of Belmont.
Belmont is a mix of residential, commercial and light industrial properties and includes within its boundaries, the Perth Domestic and International Airports. The City is made up of the localities of Ascot, Redcliffe, Belmont, Cloverdale, Kewdale and Rivervale.