Ric New and his brother Gerald began operating a brickworks at Middle Swan in partnership in 1946, immediately after World War II, to overcome the shortage of building materials. Their Midland Brick Company was incorporated in Perth in 1953.
In 1985, Midland Brick purchased Whitemans Brick from Bond Corporation.
Four years later, in 1989 Ric New died. This prompted the remaining shareholders, mainly family interests, to consider their future involvement with the company. Gerald decided to sell the business. Boral purchased Midland Brick from the family in late 1990.