Women in Leadership: Southern Cross Austereo
14 May 2013
Parmelia Hilton Perth
Southern Cross Austereo
“The Changing Media Landscape and Radio’s future.”
Linda will talk about the changing face of the media and consumer behaviour as traditional media scramble to ensure their product remains relevant and attractive to their listeners/viewers/readers.
Is social media simply a mirage in the shifting sands?
And what other challenges does a publicly listed media business face while attempting to ensure shareholder value?
Linda Wayman, currently General Manager of Southern Cross Austereo in Perth, is a noted business executive who began her career as a cadet Journalist on The West Australian newspaper.
Linda studied in Perth then worked as a journalist in magazines and newspapers in Perth and Sydney before becoming a Group Editor of five award-winning suburban newspapers in Melbourne.
She rose to prominence as General Manager of Events Corp in WA before becoming the first person from a non-radio background to gain a senior executive position with one of Australia’s most progressive and exciting media companies, Southern Cross Austereo. Linda presides over Perth radio stations mix94.5 and 92.9 which together cover seventy per cent of the Western Australian metropolitan radio market.
Linda is now responsible for a $47 million budget and around 95 staff. Last year, mix94.5 reached an important milestone. It had been Number One FM radio station in the Nielsen Radio Ratings for 100 surveys in a row or put another way, eleven and half years.
She was named WA’s Advertiser of the Year in 2012 and in March 2012 was inducted into the WA Women’s Hall of fame for her leadership and business achievements.
Linda’s path to this position has included a variety of roles across Australia including public affairs, marketing, public relations, government, event management, business development and administration. She holds a Masters Degree in Communications and in recognition of her business and personal contributions, Linda was awarded Telstra Business Woman of the Year (WA) in 2003.
Major career achievements include:
- Editor of a national sailing magazine based in Sydney in the 80s.
- Part of the management team running the America’s Cup media centre in Fremantle.
- Group Editor of five award winning suburban newspapers in Melbourne.
- Senior Executive communication positions with the Victorian Government.
- EventsCorp General Manager overseeing all aspects of events including business development, event management, contract management and public relations.
Linda serves on the following Boards and Committees:
- The Committee for Perth – Board Member.
- Telstra Businesswoman of the Year for 2003 – WA Winner.
- Masters degree while being editor of five newspapers and raising two small boys.
- Graduate Member of the Australian Institute of Company Directors.
American Chamber of Commerce in Australia
Add event to my calendar