COURSE: Understanding Mineral Processing for Non-Metallurgists
29 May 2019
Optiro Head Office
Level 1, 16 Ord Street
This 1-day course has been designed for engineers, geologists, mineralogists, environmental scientists, plant operators, marketers, financial advisors, and those either dealing with mineral processing (extractive metallurgy) or wanting a better understanding of the principles of extractive metallurgy.
The focus of the course is to look at the science of mineral processing from a non-metallurgist’s point of view. It explores principles of geology, mineralogy, chemistry, mineral processing and economics as they apply to mineral processing unit operations and explains (in simple terms) how metal is geologically detected, extracted from various rocks and minerals to the final metal product.
The course provides an overview of extractive metallurgical principles in the design and operation of process plants but also discusses issues such as metallurgical testwork, metallurgical accounting, environmental management, and other common aspects of practical extractive metallurgy.
* Mineral Processes: Mineralogy - Geometallurgy - Ore Terminology - Types of Minerals - Ore Processing - Comminution - Particle Technology - Transport and Storage - Mineral Beneficiation and Extraction - Separation and Classification Processes (Dry and Wet) - Chemical Processes - Hydrometallurgy - Thermal Processes - Pyrometallurgy - Purification and Recovery Processes - Environmental Management
* Schematic Flow Diagram of Mineral Processing
* Ore Preparation Unit Operations: Discussion/Examples and Animations
* Ore Processing/Ore Size Reduction: Crushing - Milling - Various - Comminution
* Particle Technology: Stockpiling - Sorting - Size Separation - Screens and Grizzlies - Feeding - Conveying Storage - Cleaning - Thickening - Filtering Drying - Pollution Control
* Metal Production
* Mineral Beneficiation and Extraction: Separation and Classification Processes (Dry and Wet) - Physical - Gravity and Density (wet and dry) - Jigs - Cyclones - Heavy Medium Separation - Physical Processes (wet and dry) - Flotation (Process, Circuits and Surface Chemistry) Magnetic and Electrostatic Separation
* Chemical Processes (Hydrometallurgy): Leaching - Chemistry and Reaction Kinetics - Leaching Processes - Counter Current Decantation and Washing - Solution Concentration and Purification - Cementation and Precipitation - Solvent Extraction (SX) - Activated Carbon (CIL and CIP) - Ion Exchange (RIP) - Metal Production - Electrowinning - Typical Flowsheets
* Thermal Processes (Pyrometallurgy): Pyrometallurgical Pre-Treatment Processes - Roasting - Calcination - Drying; Smelting - Converting - Refining
* Process Specific Flowsheet and Optimisation Section (For example Gold, BMS, PGM, Iron Ore, etc. specific) - Process Flowsheet - Process Optimisation
* Environmental Management: Environmental Risks - Baseline Assessments, Approvals and Compliance - Tailings Disposal - Water Pollution - Dust Control
* Metal Accounting and Costs: Metallurgical Accounting - Basic Principles - Operating Costs - Fixed/Variable relationships - Components (labour, stores, power, overheads etc) - Capital Costs - Components (direct, indirect and contingencies) - Accuracy & precision - Estimation (scaling, 2/3 rule)
* Typical processes for Major Commodities
* Metal and Mineral final products and applications
COURSE PRESENTER: Dr Leon Lorenzen
PEng, CEng, PrEng, FIEAust, FAusIMM, FIChemE, FSAIMM, MAICD
Leon has more than 32 years of in-depth experience in mineral processing and chemical engineering. Leon started his career in the metallurgical and mineral processing industries, more specifically the gold and uranium industry where he spent most of his early career as a mineral processing engineer and research manager. Thereafter, he worked as a researcher, lecturer, professor and manager (Dean) in the academic environment. Since moving to Australia, Leon has worked as Innovation Project Manager, Research Manager and Metallurgical Manager in the nickel industry; Group General Manager – Metallurgy and Corporate in a mining consulting company; and Executive Manager of Projects and Studies for an engineering company. Leon is currently the Executive Consultant for Lorenzen Consultants, an expert knowledge-based service provider. Apart from his practical experience, Leon has published 76 peer reviewed journal publications, 3 book chapters and 3 patents in the chemical engineering and metallurgical engineering literature, presented his work at more than 250 international forums and conferences, and chaired many conferences.
Add event to my calendar
08 9215 0000