04/12/2015 - 13:36

Another month's delay for Quay opening

04/12/2015 - 13:36

Bookmark

Upgrade your subscription to use this feature.

Western Australians won’t get their long-awaited access to Elizabeth Quay until the end of January, with the state government today confirming the project won’t be finished in time for Christmas.

Another month's delay for Quay opening
Workers are nearing completion on the public spaces at Elizabeth Quay. Photo: Attila Csaszar

Western Australians won’t get their long-awaited access to Elizabeth Quay until the end of January, with the state government today confirming the project won’t be finished in time for Christmas.

The Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority had previously maintained that Elizabeth Quay would be open before the end of 2015 – a six-month delay on its original schedule.

Today, Premier Colin Barnett announced the inlet would be opened by a laser, lights and fountains display on January 29.

Mr Barnett, who was on site today to mark the completion of the pedestrian and cyclist bridge, said the show would coincide with performances at the Fringe World Festival, which will extend its season until March 6 with shows at Elizabeth Quay.

“In less than two months from now, visitors will be able to run, cycle or even ride a Segway across the bridge as they wander around the promenades and explore the many activities, event and attractions on offer,” the premier said.

“This precinct is for all Western Australians and I encourage you to take advantage of what’s on offer.”

While the public space at Elizabeth Quay is scheduled to open at the end of next month, most of the development sites unlocked by the project are not likely to begin in the near- to medium-term.

Far East Consortium is making good progress on its Ritz-Carlton hotel and The Towers, with a construction contractor expected to be named early in the new year, possibly to get on site by March.

But on the other development sites, things aren’t as certain.

Earlier this year, Chevron sought to push back its required start date on its Elizabeth Quay plot to 2018, while Brookfield Property Partners is still formulating its design for its site, and is yet to announce any timeline for it to go ahead.

The MRA is expected to announce a consortium to develop the site across the quay from the Ritz-Carlton project in coming months, a plot which is expected to yield another hotel and apartments project.

The final site at Elizabeth Quay is not expected to be released to market for the next two years, as the MRA is holding off on selling it in current commercial development conditions. 

STANDING BY BUSINESS. TRUSTED BY BUSINESS.

Subscription Options